Residency Requirements

Residency, or where you live, impacts tuition. It is determined when you are admitted to the school. It can require a legal residency statement.

Proof of Residency

Your residency is determined by two things:

  • Your physical address
  • Your intent to make California your permanent home

Proof of residency must be dated one year and one day before the semester or term you wish to enroll in begins.

Residency Reclassification Petition

Have you been classified as a nonresident? Want to be a California resident? Submit documentation and a Residency Reclassification Petition to the Admissions Office.

Non-resident Tuition Exemption

AB 540, AB 2000, and SB 68 Nonresident Tuition Exemptions
Individuals who have met certain criteria based on previous education within the state of California may qualify for nonresident tuition exemptions provided under state law.

Requirements for the Non-Resident Tution Exemption Request

Apply for a waiver if you are not a resident. Send the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request to Admissions and Records.

You must have:

  • Attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • Graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent before the start of the term. (For example, you passed the GED or California High School Proficiency Exam.)

AB 343 Non-resident Tuition Exemption
A student of the California Community Colleges who has a special immigrant visa that has been granted a status under Section 1244 of Public Law 110-181 or under Public Law 109-163, or is a refugee admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code, and who, upon entering the United States, settled in California, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition required by Section 76140 for the length of time he or she lives in this state up to the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

Any student who meets the following requirements:

  • demonstrate financial need;
  • has a parent who has been deported or was permitted to depart voluntarily;
  • moved abroad as a result of that deportation or voluntary departure;
  • lived in California immediately before moving abroad;
  • attended a public or private secondary school in the state for three or more years; and 
  • upon enrollment, will be in his/her first academic year as a matriculated student in California public higher education, will be living in California, and wil file an affidavit with the District stating that he/she intends to establish residency in California as soon as possible. 

If You Do Not have Lawful Immigration Status

Don't have legal immigration status? Fill out an affidavit. It must state that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status or will file as soon as you are eligible.

More California Residency Information

Need help? Contact Admissions.


Article ID: 74019
Mon 3/18/19 4:13 PM
Tue 7/20/21 4:27 PM