Eligibility Requirements for Federal Financial Aid

Meet the Following Requirements

You can be eligible for federal financial aid if you:

  • Have a high school diploma or GED (or equivalent)
  • Enroll in an eligible program for an associate degree, transfer degree or certificate
  • Are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (see below)
  • Show financial need by completing the FAFSA and a Financial Aid Review (except in the case of unsubsidized loans)
  • Do not owe a refund or repayment on a federal grant
  • Are not in default on a federal educational loan
  • Have a valid social security number (if you are a dependent student, your parent is not required to have a valid social security number)
  • Are not convicted of possession or selling illegal drugs while enrolled and receiving financial aid

If You Meet the Requirements, Follow These Steps:

  1. Submit all required forms and documents requested by Financial Aid
  2. Meet and maintain satisfactory progress requirements 

Eligible Non-Citizen

  • U.S. Permanent Residents with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • Conditional Permanent Residents (I-551C)
  • Those with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) showing the designations of the following:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Parole
    • Cuban-Haitian Entrant
    • Those with an Immigration Court document approving Asylum
    • Documentation of entering the U.S. under the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act

California Dream Act

This program determines financial aid eligibility for:

  • Undocumented students
  • Students who left the state but graduated from a California high school and meet the requirements of AB 540

Go to the State of California‚Äôs Dream Act website for more info. 

Print Article


Article ID: 73949
Mon 3/18/19 9:52 AM
Tue 9/26/23 8:57 AM