CARE Team: FAQs by Students About the CARE Team and Submitting Referrals

  1. What do I do if I know of a student who may need to be referred to the CARE Team? 
    If there is an immediate threat, contact Campus Security or 911. Otherwise, submit a CARE Team Referral Form

  2. Who can make a CARE referral?
    Most commonly, faculty and staff can make a referral to the CARE Team, but anyone who is concerned about a student can make a referral. 

  3. Should I approach the student of concern first?
    Whenever possible, please let the student know you are concerned and are making a referral to the CARE Team. There may be times where you would prefer to remain anonymous. If this is the case, please let us know and we will work together.

    a) If you are concerned with immediate safety, please contact Campus Security or 911. 
    b) If you have a general concern for safety that is not immediate, please note this in the referral and we can provide a consultation. 

  4. What happens after I make the referral?
    Once a referral is received, the CARE Team will reach out to the referring party to gather more information, consult with the CARE Team, and, as appropriate, create a plan to engage with the student to assess the concerns. 

  5. What happens to the student once a CARE referral is submitted?
    In most cases, a counselor on the CARE Team will reach out to the student to invite them to meet in person to review the concerns, assess and refer the student to campus and community resources, and coordinate follow-up care and services.

  6. How do I know if it is a CARE Team issue or more appropriately handled by another campus resource?
    You do not have to make this determination; the CARE Team will do it for you. The most critical step is that you report your concern. If another campus resource is more appropriate, the CARE Team member will advise you of this, refer the student to the appropriate resource, and handle the transfer of information.

  7. Is the CARE Team process confidential?
    Every effort is made to keep the CARE Team process confidential. There may be times when confidentiality is not possible due to mandated reporting, such as FERPA and CLERY responsibilities. 

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) permits communication about a student of concern with a health and safety emergency. Observations of a student’s conduct or statements made by a student are not FERPA protected. Such information should be shared with appropriate consideration for student privacy. 

    In compliance with the Clery Act, Sierra College publishes and distributes an annual security report. The report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Sierra College; and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault, and other matters. You may obtain a copy of the report by contacting the Campus Parking and Security Services Office or by accessing the website at Public information regarding sex offenders may be obtained by accessing the Megan’s Law website at

    Reference: Sierra College Board Policy 3515 and Administrative Procedure 3515.

  8. Can I know the outcome of a student that I referred?
    The CARE Team and its processes fall under FERPA. In most circumstances, we will not be able to disclose details, however, we will close the loopwith you to let you know that the referral is assigned to a CARE counselor and the student has been connected to services. We encourage you to notify us of any continued concerns or behavior changes.

  9. Can I submit information anonymously?
    Anonymous entries will be addressed by the CARE Team. However, you are encouraged to identify yourself because this may assist the CARE Team if clarification or additional information is needed. 

  10. What do I do if a student discloses sexual violence, harassment, stalking, or other Title IX related concerns to me? 
    Contact the Title IX Coordinator to make a report by email or call (916) 660-7006. The Title IX Coordinator may reach out to you for more information and assign a Campus Advocate to work with the student for advocacy, reporting options and campus and community resources.  

  11. What happens if I need assistance after hours?
    If this is an emergency, please call 911. For mental health needs that occur after counseling business hours, please contact Placer County Adult System of Care at (916) 787-8860. This is a 24/7 phone line for community referrals and services, including mental health crisis. 


Submit a Referral to the CARE Team

To make a referral from any of our campuses, submit a CARE Team Referral Form to share your concerns about a student's behavior. 


Article ID: 80470
Mon 6/10/19 7:04 PM
Mon 1/25/21 4:36 PM