Find out more about the Cal Grant, Federal PELL Grant, AmeriCorps Grant, Foster Youth Options and more.

Cal Grants

About the Cal Grant

The Cal Grant Program is funded by the State of California. The program helps California residents afford an education at a California college. 

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) is the state agency in charge of the grant. It determines student eligibility and the type of Cal Grant the student will receive.


There are two Cal Grant application opportunities each year:

  1. March 2 Application Deadline
  2. September 2 Application Deadline

Cal Grant Notifications

CSAC will notify you by e-mail or mail if they select you for a potential Cal Grant. CSAC will use the e-mail or mailing address on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If your e-mail or mailing address changes, or if you change schools, update this information on CSAC’s website for students.  

Student Success Completion Grant

If you are receiving a Cal Grant B or Cal Grant C award for the 2018-19 academic year and you are enrolled in 12 units for Spring 2019 by February 10th, we will award you an extra $649 per semester from the new Student Success Completion Grant.  But wait there is more!  Being enrolled in 15 or more units for Spring 2019 by February 10th will award you $2,000 per semester.

More Units, More Money!

High School Certification 

Does CSAC need you to report your high school graduation status? Fill out the High School Graduation Verification Form

Cal Grant Funding

The Cal Grant Program funding changes every year. Check CSAC’s website for the latest information on funding.

Find Answers

Still have questions about the Cal Grant Program? CSAC’s website provides information on the various types of Cal Grants. Get answers by reading CSAC’s Frequently Asked Questions.

Federal PELL Grant

Based on Enrollment

The Financial Aid Office pays your Pell Grant based on your enrollment at the end of the add/drop date. If you add a class at a later date, we will not be able to adjust your Pell Grant eligibility.

Application and Eligibility

PELL Grants provide federal funds for eligible students to help meet college expenses. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for this grant. Not all applicants will be eligible. PELL Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree.


The PELL Grant maximum can change each year and depends on federal funding.

The amount you receive will be determined based on your:

  • FAFSA results
  • School’s cost of attendance
  • Status as a full-time or part-time student.

Parent who Died in Military Service

The maximum award amount is given to any eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001. You must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) provides funds to students with the highest need. Students must complete the FAFSA to be considered for this grant. Since federal funding for this program is limited, FSEOGs are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those lucky enough to receive the grant will receive an annual award of $600.

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

Free money for foster youth for college or career training

AmeriCorps Grant

Volunteer with AmeriCorps and receive an education award of up to $4,725 each year for up to two years. This program provides full-time educational awards in return for community service. You can register online to submit a voucher payment request form. You can also submit a voucher through the Financial Aid Office. For more information, go to the AmeriCorps website.

If approved, the funds from the AmeriCorps program will arrive in two payments. The first payment will arrive around the start of the semester and the balance at the mid-point of the semester. You will need to pay for your fees. Once we receive the funds, we will process a refund.

California National Guard

Find out about the Educational Assistance Award Program

Foster Youth Option

Chafee Grant for Foster Youth
Foster or Unaccompanied Youth


Article ID: 73956
Mon 3/18/19 10:02 AM
Thu 9/10/20 1:23 PM