How to Request Dependency Override

Under extenuating circumstances, you could be considered "independent" for financial aid reasons. If you are in a situation that makes you independent, you can claim a dependency override.

With an override, you would not have to provide parental information on the FAFSA or financial aid records.

Eligibility for Dependency Override

Situations that qualify you for dependency override include:

  • Abusive family environment
  • Abandonment by parents

Conditions that do not qualify you for a dependency override include:

  • Your parents refuse or are unable to help pay for your education
  • Your parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA, such as tax forms or W-2s
  • Your parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • You demonstrate complete self-sufficiency

Request a Dependency Override

Follow these steps:

  1. Print and fill out the Dependency Override Request Form. Follow the instructions and submit.
  2. Complete and sign the FAFSA. Leave parent information blank. You can fill out the FAFSA on the web. Or, submit a paper FAFSA with your Request for Dependency Override.

Submitting a request does not guarantee independent status. You may need to give additional supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Program Manager to determine your FAFSA-filing status.

Related Info

Need Help? Contact Financial Aid.


Article ID: 73945
Mon 3/18/19 9:48 AM
Sun 8/11/19 9:47 PM