Transfer to a CSU, UC or Private College/University

Choosing a Transfer College/University

  1. Attend workshops and seminars offered by Career and Transfer Connections.
  2. Use the “Choices” program on Career and Transfer Connections student computers to research colleges and scholarships.
  3. Check the Transfer Services events handout (available at Career and Transfer Connections) for upcoming informational events.
  4. Check out the web site of the school you are interested in attending.

Transfer Planning

Once you have chosen your college/university and major follow the steps below to make sure you follow these planning steps.

  1. Start your planning process early by scheduling a counseling appointment with a Sierra College counselor to develop a My Academic Plan (MAP). Plan to see that counselor at least once per semester to make sure that you are on track for transfer to your chosen transfer institution and major.
  2. Use to view courses that are equivalent to lower division courses in your major at most CSU or UC campuses. Computers are available at Career and Transfer Connections if needed.
  3. If your chosen UC has a Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAG), you can use Transfer Admission Planner (TAP) to plan your progress towards meeting UC's minimum requirements.

Applications to CSU, UC and Private Colleges/Universities

CSU, UC and Private Universities all have different submission periods for applications. Choose the applications below to view their application submission periods.


  • June 1–30 for Winter Quarter
  • August 1–31 for Spring Semester
  • October 1–November 30 for Fall Semester



September 1–30 for Fall. You can use TAP (Transfer Admission Planner) to plan your progress towards meeting UC's minimum requirements.

Private Universities and Out-of-State Universities

Varies. Please check with the university of interest for applications and admission deadlines.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I Automatically Transfer to a 4-Year University or College?

If you select courses carefully, it is possible to meet both Associate degree requirements and transfer requirements at the same time. However, the completion of an Associate degree does not automatically meet all of the requirements for transfer to a 4-year college or university. Your counselor can assist you in the selection of appropriate courses.

How do I Get Into a Top College?

If you are interested in transferring to top universities like Cal Poly, UC Berkeley, or Stanford, here are the steps you can take.

  • Research Schools: First, you need to learn about the university in which you’re interested. Browse its catalog and its website. Get clear exactly which of its degree programs you are interested in or would consider.
  • Track Degree Programs: Track the coursework in one of those degree programs to see exactly what you would be taking. If you think it is a program you want, check to see if Sierra College has an “articulation agreement” with that department at that university. If we do, it will list the major preparation courses available at Sierra College.
  • Make a Plan with a Counselor: After you've found a program you are interested in, see a counselor to find out what the other requirements for entry will be, as requirements vary significantly from campus to campus. Our counselors have access to this information, and will work with you to develop a plan for transfer.

I Intend to Transfer, Should I get an Associate Degree?

An Associate degree is not required for transfer, yet many students find it is beneficial to have a college degree on their record.

The Benefits of Having an Associates Degree

If, for example, you are required to halt your educational pursuits for a time, you will still have a college degree on your resume. Students who have completed all of their requirements for transfer may have completed most, if not all, of the requirements for an Associate degree as well. Your counselor can help you determine what requirements you may have met.


Come to Career and Transfer Connections to find out about application deadlines and basic transfer requirements.


Article ID: 73372
Fri 3/8/19 12:01 PM
Sun 8/11/19 4:54 PM